Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Parking Delima

If you have ever driven anywhere, you have probably seen some people gunning it for a spot or doing drive by's for half an hour to get the spot two spaces closer to the door and it prompts me to ask, what the hell?

This is prompted by I was trying to get out of a parking lot today and the lot was full, there was another one with obvious spaces right across the street. Any ways, I backed out and someone had taken up residence on either side of me with their indicator on claiming the space as their own. So I back out feeling very much like I am caught between two bears and a honey jar. No sooner than I am out of the way, they both speed forward  trying to get the spot first because they both thought they found it first. Well neither one backed down and their cars ended up bumping noses.

Feeling generous, I put my four ways on and got out of my car to make sure everyone was ok. The first thing either was had to say to me was, "Tell that person to get out of my spot." Well neither car was actually damaged and it happened in a parking lot so the police didn't care which left a matter of supreme importance undecided, Who got it first.

I didn't care. It was a spot. I had chosen it because I got there early enough in the morning where the lot looked abandoned. It's not heartbreaking to drive to the parking garage across the street. So I go to leave and then one of them calls after me, "Wait, you had to have seen who got there first." I shrugged, "Yea the blue car." I didn't know who drove which one but it became clear when the other vehicle owner declared me a liar and a whore.

I'd had enough. I left. Let them duke it out. But I just couldn't shake it, what makes people so damn crazy over a parking space especially when there are usually more nearby. In this case the parking deck across the street was actually closer to the destination. Both cost the same. Why here? It can't hurt your pride that much to walk ten more feet in either direction. If you are running late you will actually save time by choosing a spot farther away and just walking than circling like a vulture. This genuinely distresses me that people would be willing to put possible life in jeopardy over a set of lines on the pavement. Alas, today I come with  no opinions or answers. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Corset Befuddled
Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment