Thursday, October 27, 2011

No! Life is not fair.

You will have to forgive corset today. She is in the mood to rant.

So, I have having a dialogue and the topic of unemployment came up between I and another person. They were complaining they had done everything and could not find a job. Fair enough this economy is tough cookie and everyone wants a piece. Well she started talking and I asked for her to clarify something she said. What I had heard was she had only been looking for jobs that paid over $12 an hour. She could live off min wage but didn't want to, she liked her designer clothes. I knew I must have heard her wrong. Well another chimes in, a man this time, he wanted $10/hour because the insurance was so high on his pimped out Mustang.

I just stared for a moment when I heard this and to give benefit of the doubt, I asked, "So you won't even apply for anything less than $10-12/hour despite the fact neither of you have a college degree because you think you deserve the money for your unsupported lifestyle?" The answer was no. How were they paying rent? They didn't know, they expected family to support the essentials.

A bit rude granted but I was having a jaw drop moment. I knew for fact at least one of the two was on unemployment. So I was prompted to ask if they had ever applied to fast food joints, Wal-Mart, retail. They looked back like I had sprouted a third head and I had enough when the man who is on unemployment looks at me and says those jobs are for the poor people.

Granted I know it's hard to swallow your pride when you've had a good paying job. I had one that was 10.5/hourly and I loved it. Living on my own I scraped by but it was what I was trained to do. I didn't wake up one morning and decide I wanted life handed to me so I could wear designer jeans. I still don't wear designer jeans unless they show up in Good Will.

Well to get back on topic, I left. I was going to get nasty if I stayed near them but they did raise some interesting questions. I have heard so many excuses as to why people can't and won't get jobs. Now granted some are valid. There are people who can not work but I don't think it's that simple. I think society is running around with rose coloured glasses on!

I'll never forget the day when a 40 year old man stomped his foot and said "It's just not fair!" Trust me! I know. Life isn't fair. Life requires work. Relationships require work! When you get hired to do a job they expect you to work! They won't hire you because you were prom queen five years ago. They want people who know the meaning of a hard days work or at least willing to accept it as part of life to earn a paycheck. I don't know what happened in history. This concept is really getting under my skin. I can't seem to go a day without running into someone who seems to think they should get things because they want it. Or who don't understand that when mommy and daddy cut them off, they have to balance a bank account. I really don't get it. And! As if that isn't bad enough, it goes the other way too! I have  met people who lived in poverty who thought they should get hand outs just because they perceive life as being rougher for them than everyone else.  So obviously they should get a job despite not having the experience and being unwilling to work as hard as the next guy.

What happened to good old fashioned work ethic? What happened to society that didn't need to lean on one another in  a pity party? Where did the people go who would see they were in a bad place and pull themselves out of it? Where there is a will there is a way and apparently now also an excuse. It may be easier said than done but if you are willing to work for it there are ways to improve your station in life. There are ways to rise above what you were.

I've been in poverty. I've lost my home before. I've been part of the middle class with more toys as a kid than I had any right to own. Coming from someone who lives on the financial rollarcoaster bouncing between poverty and the middle class, suck it up. It won't be easy it won't be fun. Apply for the jobs you are too good to take. Say no when someone offers you a bad choice. If you don't like where you are, find a way to change it or let it go. Nothing is permanent.

Cooling off, a lot of people also don't realize that you can't just submit the application and be done anymore.
You need to do follow up calls. Shine your resume and write a cover letter. If you don't have work experience, volunteer, it looks good on a resume. Don't think cause you take a min wage job you are stuck there. Take the job and keep applying elsewhere. You can gain some money and life experience while working on the next upgrade. Whoever told you life was easy was a liar, but that doesn't mean you have to give up. I at least, believe in you. In the good that resides in everyone.

Corset feeling like ranting,
Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment