Monday, September 26, 2011

Weregeek

You would think that I should be accustomed to finding gamers in unlikely places. I mean I did stand on a soap box and speak out against stereotypes, however they keep popping up and leaving me speechless. It's odd when you are sitting in class and the girl two seats down goes nice d20 earrings can you use them? To which the guy sitting on the other side of me says, "I hate d20 systems. I like Gurps." Then as if I am not all adaze and in my geeky little euphoria as I am leaving the class my Professor stops me to ask me if the RPG in my bag is any good. Then goes to tell me that she is besties with the LARP coordinator in my area. I geeked out for a good hour after that at least. Now as for what this has to do with the title...

Weregeek is a online comic written by Alina Pete about a group of gamers and their exploits. Now I have seen a few of these floating around on the wide webs but this is the first one to ever really get my attention. The comic starts with a regular self declared not geeky guy, who is geeking out at the comic book store and I think most store owners will agree, you drool on it, you bought it.

This is where the twist comes in. Geeks are  persued by people called Hunters. Hunters are the Anti-Geek and kidnap them in order to reprogram them into 'regular' people. I think I like it best though because the hunters are used as an honest to god story villian. They are around but not so much as they get tedious. They appear at inopportune moments to remind everyone they are not out of the fire yet. This is a nice change from a lot of web comics where the declared villain never really goes away and is not actually competent. These are! It brings out the inner little girl in me and makes me giggle in evil delight that a story is being done in a way I enjoy.

Now as the Villian is not the prime focus of the story, you may ask, what is? Well it's the were geeks. If they geek out enough or go for long enough they change into a wereform where they will game and indulge in other geeky activities. Anyone who has ever been hard core into a game knows that really isn't too far off. I've been without a role playing group for almost two months and I keep finding myself spewing game information to anyone who will give me the time of day. Thankfully I've been able to harness most of my gaming excitement into Sunday nights where there is a place I can go to do some board games.

These geeks also have a life though. We do get to see some of the trouble caused by the main character and his nongamer girlfriend. That and a little crush one of the other girls have. We get to explore goth clubs and shadowrun adventures as well as D&D adventures.

I don't know about you but it's a real blast. If you need a taste...

This is the sole property of Alina Pete!
Not me. Not my Blog. Alina. 


Well, Corset signing off. I have a game of Descent to set up for.
Never stop gaming. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment