Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Corset Likes To Cook!

Ok. This will be the first of many recipes that I put up here because there are some things that would be a crime to not share. I absolutely love this one and it is my others absolute favorite. This is the adapted recipe I was given. I will add a few of my own adaptations in another color. First of all though let me say you don't have to use lamb to make this. I have made it with pork chops as well as turkey legs but beware those meat will not absorb the flavor as well. However a Pork Roast is delicious I believe because it is slow cooked like the shanks.



Lamb Shanks with Plum Sauce
Adapted from Introducing Chinese Casserole Cookbook
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3½ to 4 hours
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
Salt for browning lamb (Use a coarse salt like Kosher)
4 lamb shanks (3/4 to 1 pound each), trimmed of excess fat
Note:: I don't like using the salt. I think it is delicious without.

Braising Liquid:
6 Tbl. Black soy sauce (you can use regular soy sauce, if nec.)
Do not use low salt soy if you omit the salt from the pan browning.
6 Tbl. Sherry
½ tsp sugar
1½ cups water
¾ cup plum sauce
3 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened (or can use bottled, chopped garlic)
2 dried chili peppers, broken in half (use both seeds and pods, can also use dried pepper flakes)
I use the red pepper flakes because it gives a more potent flavor more cost effectively. When using flakes about a teaspoon is nice for me.
2 whole star anise
1 slice ginger root, ¼-inch thick, flattened

Binder and Final Seasoning:
1 Tbl. Cornstarch
1 Tbl. Cold water
½ tsp. sesame oil.

Method:
  1. Put a large frying pan or wok over high heat and sprinkle in about 1 tsp. of salt. When the salt is hot, add the lamb shanks and brown them on all sides (about 10 minutes.)
    Do this even if you omit the salt. 
  2. Mix the braising liquid ingredients in a 4 quart casserole or pot. Add the lamb shanks and bring the liquid toa boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the casserole/pot, and simmer the shanks for 3½ to 4 hours or until the meat is tender. Turn the lamb shanks from time to time.
  3. Remove the lamb shanks to a serving dish. Skim the fat from the braising liquid and discard the slice of ginger. Mix the cornstarch and water binder and stir it into the liquid. Cood the sauce for a few minutes to thicken it.
    personally once I have the lamb out I skim off a lot of the extra fat from the lamb. It floats right on top so a spoon can get it off fine.
  4. Stir in the sesame oil, pour the sauce over the lamb shanks and serve them hot with rice.
    It wasn't until I went to post this that I even realized there was sesame oil in here. I feel silly but I have never used it. Serve sauce over rice and it is a wonderful mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment