Monday, September 5, 2011

Ayreon: The Human Equation

Writing this I am fully aware I can't do this CD justice. So let's start with some basics. Ayreon is a music project by a Dutch composer named Arjen Anthony Lucassen. The music itself is a primary mix of metal and rock though I am quite fond of the other genre that i scattered throughout the CD though I personally would call this set of music a rock opera. 

The Human Equation consist of 21 songs on the CD labeled as days one of my favorites being Day Two: Isolation. The CD runs through the conflict of a man who has been put into a coma and he doesn't know what caused the car wreck. It's his battle against his inner demons as he tries to find out the truth and unconsciously make the choice to live or give up and die. During these songs you hear his conflicts from a mass of characters ranging from his passion for his wife to his reason and pride. 



The Cast of the CD::

  • James LaBrie  as "Me"
  • Mikael Ã…kerfeldt as Fear
  • Eric Clayton as Reason
  • Heather Findlay  as Love
  • Irene Jansen as Passion
  • Magnus Ekwall as Pride
  • Devon Graves as Agony
  • Marcela Bovio  as Wife
  • Mike Baker  as Father
  • Arjen Lucassen as Best Friend
  • Devin Townsend as Rage
  • Peter Daltrey as Forever

Now of course this came out in 2004 so it might be a touch irritating to get a hold of if you don't want to involve the internet I know I personally am saving my pennies the Deluxe edition that came with a booklet two CD and a DVD. Then again I have also listened to this CD an obscene amount of times. 



This is where I personally started my Ayreon adventure though it is by no means the first cd just in my opinion the best. The Human Equation is actaully part of a larger Rock Opera through a set of CD's about an alien race. The final song cuts at a climax and a computerised voice announces the shut-down of the Dream Sequencer. The voice of Forever of the Stars ends the albums saying "Emotions...I remember...",going back to the overall Ayreon plot that began with The Final Experiment.

This is the first time I have tried to write something reviewesq on music and though its s bit choppy I think my point is well made. 

psst. hey. ya  you.  go listen to ayreon ;) 
-Girl in a Corset signing off.
Happy Holidays to all those that got the Monday off I know I have a water park calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment