Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Batman Arkham Asylum

I am starting to feel that I am becoming a little overly critical of video games these days. I started playing Batman Arkham Asylum and I was just really under enthused. I think I would have had the same amount of fun if I'd sat down and either A: Watched the old batman cartoons or B: Played old school Spawn. I came into this game knowing that it was just a beatem up action game but I was still expecting something a little more interesting. You really have no choice about where you go when so it feels a little bit like a dungeon crawl and the most interesting part is the cut scenes.

I find that is why I keep playing. My favorite part is the interctions between Harley Quinn and the Joker. Being a fan of their relationship I watch to see how it plays out and if that means I have to do something mindless where I don't even need to look at the screen all the time then fine. Now I know what some of you are thinking, why not just up the difficulty level. Long story short. I did. I still just have to find the area with the enemies and attack repeatedly till I stop catching slow motion trick shots out the corner of my eye. If they have guns? Well that's even easier. I switch between latching onto things in the sky and and glide kicks.

Now to be fair I never said I didn't like the game I said I had higher standards. I'll admit I am having a lot of fun hosing things down with gel and setting them on fire and blowing through walls and the like. It's amusing honest. The plot is mildly gripping too. My favorite part so far has been dying where you get the cute little cut scene or dramatic lines. It's adorable. I am just having a hard time getting super excited about the game. Now when it's done I will more than likely play Arkham City which some people have told me is the best game they  have played yadda yadda yadda. I don't think it will be that good since I am actively anticipating Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock Infinite and I still haven't gotten my hands on Assassins Creed Revelations yet. However I will give it a fair chance. I'll post an update when I finish the game. I'd hate to be so rude towards it and not have the decency to apologize IF I find something redeemable about Bats.

Longing for a table top game,
Corset signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment