Thursday, November 10, 2011

Christmas in July.

Is it just me or has everyone else noticed that Christmas sales are starting early, the decorations and trees are cropping up sooner and that this has been reoccurring for the past few year. I remember about two weeks before Halloween I was looking for some supplies to finish my costume and the seasonal section of the store was decked out in red and green with an automated santa laughing at me. I felt like I had fallen through a worm hole into the future. Where was all my Halloween gear? I asked an associate. Well it was hiding in a corner. They were already putting it on sale to get rid of it so they could replace it with more Christmas gear.

Yikes.

Then it got worse. Last week I was speaking with someone where they proudly announced they had finished their Christmas and New years shopping. I haven't even bought a Turkey yet and Thanksgiving is in two weeks. Whipping out the Christmas gear wouldn't even be on my radar for a few more weeks if it wasn't for everyone else flaunting that they have done it already.

What ever happened to Thanksgiving day decorations! When I was in kindergarten we had turkey center pieces and I even say an inflatable turkey on someones yard! There was an entire isle at the grocery that would get dedicated to random things redone to be decked out with falling leaves and turkeys and indians and pilgrims. I mean, I know the thanksgiving in cartoons is a lie. I did take a history class back in the day, but damn it, I loved those old decorations. I also remember some cartoon that come on early that day before football hit about the first thanksgiving.

I demand Thanksgiving nostalgia. Where after Halloween you put up turkeys and not Santa and the napkins are covered in leaves and not snowflakes. While it's not often depicted like what actually happened I don't think that is a reason to gloss over and forget. If nothing else you should remember what it symbolizes in fiction if not in fact. I'm so tired of political correctedness going through a rewriting and erasing the things that people think we shouldn't look at. Covering your eyes won't make it go away and if we lose sight of our past its going to come back and bite us in the future. So leave the N word in my Tom Sawyer books. Teach me about what happened to the Indians. Instead of telling me, We changed our minds! It never existed. Tell me why it was wrong. Don't blind me, educate me.

Corset putting up Turkey decor.
Signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment