Saturday, March 8, 2014

Rum Cake Experiment pt 2

Rum Cake
Ingredient
for the cake:
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
3 tablespoons + 1/2 cup canola oil, separated
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch (I know I said flour sub but screw that it's inconsistent)
4 teaspoons baking powder (DON'T sub this either. Yikes)
1 cup vanilla instant pudding mix (JELLO is my choice)
3/4 cup whole milk
4 large eggs
3/4 cup dark rum (Myers Dark Jamaican Rum)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (Don’t use imitation if you can help it. This is a recipe where you can taste the difference but if you do it won't ruin it)

for the rum syrup:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup dark rum (myers)

Special Equipment: One 10-15 cup Bundt pan

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan. How you grease and flour is up to you but I found Bakers Joy spray with flour in it was perfect. Set aside.

In the base of a mixer, cream the 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar and the 1/2 cup butter. Add the 3 tablespoons oil, flour, cornstarch, baking powder until evenly distributed. (should look a bit like crumbs) Mix in the pudding mix.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, rum, vanilla extract, and remaining vegetable oil. Add to the dry mixture and mix well until combined. The batter will be smooth, thin, and pour easily. Scrape your bowl often.

Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake for an hour, or until a tester inserted in the cake comes up clean. (1 hour and 5 minutes in my oven)

Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack. Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.

While the cake cools, prepare the rum syrup: In a saucepan combine the butter, water, granulated sugar. Cook over medium or low heat until the butter completely melts and the sugar dissolves. Let reduce slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum.

Wash and dry the bundt pan, then place over the cool cake and invert the cake back into the pan. Pour the hot rum syrup all over the cake. You can let it hang out overnight but I found it stuck like you wouldn't believe when I did that and besides the syrup soaked in about five minutes. So I just waited and then flipped it on a plate. Still wait until morning to eat it though. It needs some time to sit before its perfect. Two days is ideal.
I like the myers rum better than the Appleton estate but I think that's partly because I asked for dark rum and when I bought the Appleton estate they sold me an amber rum. D:< Dark means Dark.
So ya. The experiment for perfect rum cake continues. I'm getting warmer though and I really do prefer no nuts in my cake.
-amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment