Saturday, March 15, 2014

James Patterson Zoo- Spoiler Free opinion

I'm going to be blunt here. Zoo was a bit of a bummer for me. I've never been a huge James Patterson fan because of the two other books I read I found the ending to be anticlimactic with his work. Just not my cup of tea. Zoo was a whole other bag of worms though. The book got off to a shaky start with the lion attack being the most interesting thing in the first hundred pages and that was the prologue. It felt more like watching a train wreck than reading a book. I wanted to stop but just couldn't look away. I realize that is vague so I'll try to elaborate. Zoo has a cute premise that something in the atmosphere is causing the animals to go insane and attack humans in a way never before seen. Sounded fun. The problem is the book starts so close to the conception of the problem and takes so long to build up that I kept reading just to see if it would.
 
All of that being said the book wasn't all bad. It did pick up and got extraordinarily interesting for a few chapters, it was wonderful. Then the book did a five year time jump and I was back at square one waiting for it to get good again. AND IT DID! Want to guess what happened next? I found the book came to no conclusion, instead we got another time jump and an epilogue of no real use. Bummer. 375 pages of come and go greatness.
 
Overall conclusion, it wasn't the biggest waste of time but I expected better from a book with James Patterson's name on it. I would also like to throw out there that this does not read like a horror book at all. It's more like a dark comedy. I had more moments where I giggled than where I felt any real tension in the story.
 
This is just my two cents on the subject. If you LOVE his work. Give it a go. You'll probably like it. If you're like me and not really a fan from the get go then I'd shop elsewhere for a weekend read.
 
-amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment