Saturday, January 21, 2012

Physical Brainstorming

So I don't know if I ever mentioned, but Corset likes to write and is in college to learn to write better. So we were talking in class and I turned out to be an anomaly because my brainstorming for a character wasn't a spider web with words it was a doodle. I refuse to believe I am the only person who doodles their characters to find out more about them. Want an example? Well I was trying to determine what was on my characters mind so this is what popped out:


It's poorly done, but then again it's not meant to have artistic merit it's meant to let me organize my thoughts on my characters. I have maybe a dozen of these featuring a character at different ages and some even scenes from the piece I am writing. I find it makes my life easier. Same thing, if I write a letter to a character. It makes me get in their head and ask, what have they been through lately? What type of person are they? How would they respond? Would they tell me about the crisis I'm writing or are they more secretive than that? I like fleshing out my characters so if I sound like I belong in a loony bin, you'll have to excuse me. I find once a character catches hold they irritate me until there story has been told, or the realization that there is no story to tell happens. 

;-) Going back to the padded walls,
Corset signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment