Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Health Insurance! My old friend!

You know what they say, you don't know what you got til it's gone. The more I think about it the more I think Health Insurance is the ultimate example of this. People who have it assume that they can just waltz into a long list of doctors offices pay a $20 co-pay and waltz out with their problem solved. It's a pretty nice idea. However one thing history has taught me is don't piss off the person who has you on their plan. It get's nasty when they give you an ultimatum. Do this or your health insurance will disappear. Most people shrug. When was the last time you got sick enough to see a doctor? Months ago? How many times do you go a year? Who cares right? Well who cares when you allergy medicine runs out, when your asthma medicine needs a refill but without insurance its over a $100 just for the one. I take four medicines on a regular basis to keep breathing in a steady manner and stop my skin from breaking out into hives. It's quite a nasty combination of allergies, asthma, and contact dermatitis. I assume that's why she thought I would chose the other option.

I didn't. Instead I chose to fight the medical industry once more. The age old fight of how far into debt are you willing to go to stay healthy, or in some peoples cases. Stay alive. I know I am the first to stand on my soap box and tell the world to suck it up, life isn't fair. But looking back on life, I can remember times when we owed more in medical bills than on our house. When were were debating to buy medicine for a family member in need or to buy food for the week and I can't help but wonder, how did it get this way? This isn't right. Children should never have to go hungry because they have a terminally ill loved one. No one should have to ever feel guilt that they asked for food one week which would take medicine away from a loved one.

I know there are some standing off to the side scoffing at me. There are options. True. There are a lot more options now than there were in the early - late  90's. But there are still not enough. In a world driven by profit there is little consideration left for those in need beyond the good will show of politicians. Who did the good deed of the day so they can get their brownie points with the population. So readers, let me ask you, do you think the medical industry is justified in its cost? What about the people who just can't afford? Suck it up? Maybe one of these days I'll hear from you.

If wishes were fishes I could fill a thousand seas.
Corset signing off.

3 comments:

  1. Look at the brighter side: health care coverage is like a barrier that protects individuals and families from unanticipated medical emergencies and the financial burden such emergencies place upon them. Yes, there might be certain disadvantages of such, but the advantages rule over such disadvantages. Most importantly, you will have to carefully choose the firm that will cover your health care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While for the most part I absolutely agree with you but I wish the American Medical industry would do more to help those with chronic conditions. When you have a chronic condition yes the medical industry helps you until you hit your limit and few people when they sign up for health insurance say "OK years 1-3 I'm set but year four I'm going to fall terminally ill and be hospitalized on and off for the next ten years. Let me chose the one with the higher limit."

      I just hate it when I meet people who have hit the limit of what is going to be covered by their health insurance and then they might as well not have it because everything else is out of pocket and other insurance companies won't touch them without monthly premiums upward of a $1000 a month.

      Thank you for commenting ^__^

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete