Saturday, May 5, 2012

Web Comics

So do you follow any online comics? I do. It started out just one. A friend came to and said "Look what I found. It's pretty funny." So I made my way over to Ctrl+Alt+Del Comics did some back reading. They started out silly but really picked up in quality when he started to introduce story lines and it's been going strong ever since and I have been following since all those years ago. Then a few years later someone else approached me. "Hey have you read Girls With Slingshots?" Turns out that was pretty good too. Then I found WereGeek on my own one year when I went to Gen Con and she happened to be sharing a booth with Devil's Panties. Then there was Gregor and The Way To Your Heart. The list actually goes on for quite a bit. So I started to wonder what do these have in common that I keep coming back for more?

Well the first thing is they all early on started to flesh out their characters. Each one develops their quirks and their good sides along with the bad and each of those points works into the story line. I found I'm really fond of webcomics with solid stories. Now granted Ctrl+Alt+Del took a little bit to work into a story but I try not to hold the first few weeks of a web comic against someone. I know when I started to blog I just flailed around for a few weeks. Well unlike me I kept flailing and they developed plot.

The Way to Your Heart is particularly good at this. Where the others were meant to be funny ha-ha comics with plot. This one is a comic in the Japanese style meaning if the lovely artist had been born in Japan it would be a Manga. However she lives in Seattle and is condemns to comic status. Still it's a wonderful little drama that keeps us guessing and moving toward an actual end point. I must say that is one respect where I am sad. A majority of the comics I read will keep going as long as the artist is moved to draw. This one has a plot and one day in the mediocre future she will write "THE END" and those characters will be done. On the upside she had said she wants to start a new story afterwards so it's a mixed bag.

I've already dedicated a whole post to what I like about Gregor so I'm going to skip him and move right on. I don't want to say too much about any particular comic just because I'm limited without giving away spoilers and for the most part I'd like to stay spoiler free so the next thing I realized I like about all of these is the quality of art. XKCD is the only comic I am willing to forgive for poor art style, it's beautiful in its own way. All the rest tend to have well drawn beautifully coloured work. (Forgive Ctrl+Alt+Del this was another portion they took a bit to catch up). That being said Ctrl+Alt+Del is a great example of beautifully done panels and work. I love the attention to detail such as in the most recent their are shadows on the floor and a picture in the background you can almost make out. I can't tell you how much it irks me when I see something that is going nicely then an artist slacks and nothing has any shadowing done or they decide they don't want to keep up with that level of detail anymore.

Well I don't want to take up too much of your time. If you clicked a few of those links my mission is accomplished. I'd love to hear what you have to say about the comics I read. Or if you have any other suggestions you think I might like. All I've discovered in writing this is I still like pretty art and I am a sucker for a story. Nothing new there. I would like something new to talk about though. Give me some comments on something I should write about.

Meandering through web comics,
Corset signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment